Saturday, January 15, 2005

Why "Failure" Isn't an Option

Why is it that I deliberately avoid using the word "failure" when referring to human performance?

Is it because:
a. I don't recognize that the opposite of success is failure?
b. I'm one of those touchy-feely kinds of people who avoid contrarian positions?
c. I'm incurably idealistic and think that given enough time, any set back can be turned around?
d. For another reason: it's creates obstacles instead of solutions.

From a strongly pragmatic point of view, I don't find it helpful to use that label in this context.

Instead of asking, "What or who failed?" in a consulting or business coaching (or managing or supervising) relationship, I encourage you to ask, "What did we just learn?" to discover meaning in the results you just achieved.

No comments: